Civil society and non-profit organisations are welcome and invited to join Accountable Now. Organisations which meet the below requirements can apply for Membership by filling out the application form. The Accountable Now Board reviews all applications and has the final decision regarding Membership.
A) Membership is available for civil society organisations (CSOs) which:
- Undertake operational and/or advocacy activities in the public interest on issues that benefit the environment, society as a whole or a group in particular, as well as foundations contributing to the funding of such activities.
- Have a mission and mandate that require the organisation to work predominantly internationally, or to work on international issues. Organisations with a national work focus are only eligible for Membership if they work in countries where no equivalent national accountability framework is available.
- Have activities and management practices which are consistent with and supportive of the vision, purpose and objectives of Accountable Now;
- Will embrace, comply with and promote the Accountable Now Accountability Commitments (as amended from time to time) in its entirety;
- Have been in existence with due diligence (valid legal registration, published annual reports and annual externally audited account) for at least three years;
- Have a complaints handling mechanism for internal and external complaints in place or give written consent that it will be fully implemented by the time the first Accountability Report is submitted;
- Apply for Accountable Now Membership in the form required by the Board;
- Are approved by a majority of 75% of the Board;
- Fulfil all Membership obligations (see below).
B) Full Members and Affiliate Members
Organisations that are approved by the Accountable Now Board have the status of “Affiliate Members” until their first Accountability Report has been vetted and approved by the Independent Review Panel. Full Members that withdraw from Accountable Now Membership and wish to return within one year’s time can under exceptional circumstances become “Full Members” again without first going through the phase as “Affiliate Member”.
C) Membership rights and obligations
Full Members and Affiliate Members are:
- Entitled to attend Annual General Meetings;
- Entitled to attend workshops, trainings, webinars and peer-review sessions organised by Accountable Now;
- Entitled to participate in expert networks as organised by Accountable Now;
- Entitled to be listed on Accountable Now’s website as Full Members or Affiliate Members;
- Required to pay Membership fees as set by the Board;
- Required to report annually against the Accountable Now Accountability Commitments in line with the Reporting Requirements set by the Board at the same level of quality for the entire organisation/s they subscribed for;
- Entitled and required to have their Accountability Reports vetted by the Independent Review Panel and the feedback to be published on Accountable Now’s website.
- Entitled to use the Accountable Now logo for the organisation or part of organisation (e.g. only headquarter) which has become a Member.
Only Full Members are:
- Entitled to lodge proposals and have a vote at Annual General Meetings. The voting right of national entities shall be exercised through the international secretariat/ headquarter unless the latter is itself not a Member. The voting right is limited to one vote for one international organisation;
- Entitled to nominate persons to stand for election to the Board.
In order for Accountable Now to be financially self-sustaining, the management and administration costs need to be covered by the Member Organisations. Accountable Now Members are requested to pay an annual Membership fee. The Membership fee has to be paid in full for the entire Membership year which runs from January to December. If Members do not pay their fee, their Membership will eventually be terminated.
The Membership fees are based on the annual income of the Member Organisation. To calculate the Membership fee, the latest available annual income of the Member Organisation is used; this is either the income of the entire organisation or of the entity which joined Accountable Now. Donations in kind are not included when calculating annual income.
Any new Member joining Accountable Now before June 30 of each year will pay the full annual Membership fee; organisations becoming Members after July 1 will only be charged half of their annual Membership fee for the first year.
Members wishing to withdraw from Accountable Now have to give written notice of resignation to the Secretariat at least four months before the end of the year, i.e. by September 1, for the resignation to be effective as of January 1 of the following year. Members will then be asked to fill in a form explaining the reasons why they wish to withdraw and formally hand it in. In case a Member withdraws after September 1, it will be requested to pay the Membership fee for the following year.